QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, November 20, 2016

Tessellating Patterns: Links

Three-sided shapes will tessellate.

Last year I blogged about tessellating designs for quilts---pattern that fills the surface with just one shape.

Six-sided shapes will tessellate

I also made some Pinterest pages on various categories. Here's an index to my series on Tessellations.

Just in case you wake up one morning and say: One Piece. That will simplify my life!

I started the series on this Material Culture blog.

Triangles

3-SIDED SHAPES TRIANGLES


Rectangles

4-SIDED SHAPES SQUARES, RECTANGLES, PARALLELOGRAMS ETC.



Tumblers


Diamonds


Irregular 4-sided Shapes

Carol Gilham Jones: Sixty Degrees of Tessellation


Mennonite Quilt from Stella Rubin's shop - 5 sided shape

5-SIDED SHAPES

8-sided shapes won't tessellate

7 & 8 SIDED SHAPES WON'T WORK



CURVED SHAPES
Hexagons have the most variations.
I did many posts on patterns with regular and irregular six-sided shapes.


6-SIDED SHAPES HEXAGONS

So many that I had to start a new blog because the pattern indexing was taking over the old blog.

The rest of these are on the CloudofQuiltPatterns blog.



http://encyclopediaquiltpatterns.blogspot.com/2016/07/tessellations-hexagon-7-repeated-star.html

4 comments:

  1. Aha, so one shape is the secret to simplifying life! :)
    Thank you for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the tessellating shape info you put out there....Here is what I did after reading one of your blogs: I'm thinking it will be the background for some applique! Oh well, couldn't figure out how to drag a photo here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea. Send me the photo at materialcult@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting back to lurking round blogs. Did you know about this:
    https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/patterns/tessellating-chicken-paper-pieced-quilt/188962

    Found it on one of my blogging expeditions.
    Neame

    ReplyDelete